Home – Research – Teaching – Pubs – Projects – Serv&Org – Awards&Lectures – Int’l Net&Rel
RESEARCH PERIODS AND POSITIONS ABROAD
The most significant research periods (>1 month) Prof.Fortino spent in foreign scientific institutions are reported in the following by briefly describing the research activities carried out.
- Jan 2019- on-going, He is CAS (Chinese Academy of Science) PIFI (President’s International Fellowship) Visiting Scientist at SIAT (Shenzhen Institute for Advanced Technologies). He will spend 1-month a year at SIAT to give talks/seminars, supervise PhD students and carry out joint research on the approved project.
- Nov 2016-on-going. He is High-end Expert at HUST (Huazhong University of Science and Technology), Wuhan, China. He will spend 1-month a year at Huazhong University of Science and Technology to give courses, talks/seminars, supervise PhD students and carry out joint research.
- May 2015-May 2018. He is Adjunct Professor of Wuhan University of Technology in the framework of High-End Foreign Experts in China. He will spend 1-month a year at Wuhan University of Technology to give courses, talks/seminars, supervise PhD students and carry out joint research.
- May 2012- on-going. He was Guest Professor of Wuhan University of Technology. During this period he spent more than one month (two weeks a year) at Wuhan University of Technology to give talks/seminars, supervise PhD students and carry out joint research with the Prof. Li’s group.
- Jul 2009 – Oct 2009. He was Visiting Professor in the Business Process Management (BPM) group of the Faculty of Science and Technology of the Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia. In particular, he contributed to launch a project on the risk management in BPM.
- Jan 2003-Sep 2004. During this period he spent almost two months at the Universidad Politecnica de Valencia in the context of the COMODIN project (see Projects section). In particular, he mainly focused on the management of the project together with Prof. Carlos E. Palau.
- Feb 1999-Jul 1999. He was Visiting Researcher (supported by a grant) at the ICSI, Berkeley (CA), USA, working in the NSF project PET (Priority Encoding Transmission). In particular, his research activity was mainly focused on the study and the application of the PET technique for the development of robust media streaming systems over MBone.
- Mar 1997-Nov 1997. He was Research Scholar in the Network Group of the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), Berkeley (CA), USA. In particular, his research activity was mainly focused on the definition of application-level protocols and innovative architectures for the transmission, control and management of multimedia streams over Internet MBone.
Prof. Fortino established the following scientific collaborations with Italian and foreign research institutions.
- From 1997 to 1999, he collaborated with Dr. Andres Albanese (leader of the Network Group at the International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley, CA, USA) on research activities related to distributed multimedia systems.
- Since 2001, he collaborates with Prof. Carlos E. Palau (Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain) on research activities related to CDNs, multimedia systems, WSN and currently IoT.
- From 2002 to 2006, he collaborated with Dr. Eugenio Zimeo (Università del Sannio, Italy) on research activities related to agent-based distributed computing and agent-oriented software engineering.
- Since 2002, he collaborates with Dr. Carlo Mastroianni (ICAR/CNR, Cosenza, Italy) on research activities related to cooperative playback control protocols and media streaming.
- Since 2003, he collaborates with Dr. Massimo Cossentino (ICAR/CNR, Palermo, Italy) on research activities related to agent-oriented software engineering, also in the context of the FIPA Methodology TC and AOSE TFG of AgentLink III.
- Since 2006, he collaborates with Dr. Giuseppe di Fatta (Associate professor and Chair of Computer Science Dept. at the University of Reading, UK) on research activities related to distributed systems and multi-agent systems for distributed data mining and computing.
- From 2007 to 2012, he collaborated with Dr. Marco Sgroi (director of the Telecom/Pirelli WSN Lab, Berkeley, CA, USA) on research activities related to wireless sensor networks focusing on the activity monitoring of individuals for health care.
- Since 2008, he collaborates with Dr. Fabio Luigi Bellifemine (director of the WSN research area of Telecom Italia Labs, Italy) and Roberta Giannantonio (Responsible of SPINE) on the SPINE project.
- Since 2008, he collaborates with TDGroup S.p.A. on research & development themes focused on wireless (body) sensor networks and related technologies.
- Since 2009, he collaborates with Prof. Adam Wolisz, leader of the network group at the Technical University of Berlin, on emotional recognition through signal processing in-node frameworks for body sensor networks.
- Since 2009, he collaborates with Dr. Antonio Ruzzelli, lecturer at the University College of Dublin, on frameworks for IP-open wireless sensor networks with applications for monitoring building energy.
- Since 2009, he collaborates with Dr. Marcello La Rosa, senior lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology (Brisbane, Australia), on risk mitigation in business processes in the context of workflow management systems.
- Since 2009, he collaborates with Prof. P. Manzoni, associate professor at Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, on the definition of techniques for the delivery of contents in Vehicular Area Networks.
- Since 2010, he collaborates with Dr. Marcin Paprzicky and Dr. Maria Ganzha, System Research Institute Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, on multi-agent systems.
- Since 2010, he collaborates with Dr. Muaz Niazi, professor at COMSATS Institute of IT, Islamabad Pakistan, on agent-based modeling and simulation.
- Since 2010, he collaborates with Dr. Roozbeh Jafari, Assistant Professor at UT Dallas, USA, on Wireless Body Sensor Networks.
- Since 2011, he collaborates with Prof. A. Liotta, professor at Technical University of Eindhoven, on autonomic systems.
- Since 2011, he collaborates Dr. Yiannis Andreopoulos, University College London (UK), on definition, analysis and implementation of innovative MAC-level communication protocols in wireless sensor networks.
- Since 2011, he collaborates with Prof. Wenfeng Li, professor at Wuhan University of Technology (China), on collaborative wireless sensor networks and Internet of Things.
- Since 2011, he collaborates with Prof. Mohammad Essaaidi, professor at University of Abdelmalek Essaidi (Tetuan) and Director of National Higher School of IT (ENSIAS) – Rabat, Morocco, on wireless sensor networks technologies.
- Since 2011, he collaborates with Prof. Costin Badica, University of Craiova (Romania), on multi-agent systems.
- Since 2012, he collaborates with Prof. Sergio Ochoa, University of Chile (Chile), on the integration of mobile computing and body sensor networks.
- Since 2013, he collaborates with Prof. Jun Suzuki, University of Massachussets (Boston, USA), on the integration of CyberPhysical Systems and Cloud Computing.
- Since 2013, he collaborates with Prof. Athanasios V. Vasilakos, Dept. of Computer and Telecommunications Engineering, University of Western Macedonia, Greece, on the integration of Body Area Networks and Cloud Computing, and molecular communications.
- Since 2014, he collaborates with Dr. Hassan Ghasemzadeh, Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, Seattle, USA, on the Multi-sensor data fusion and pattern recognition algorithms in Body Sensor Networks.
- Since 2015, he collaborates with Dr. Mohammad Mehedi Hassan, Information Systems Department, College of Computer and Information Sciences, King Saud University, Riyadh, KSA, on Cloud Computing and IoT Technologies.
- Since 2015, he collaborates with Dr. Valeria Loscrì, INRIA Lille-Nord Europe, FUN Research Lab, France, on Body Area NanoNetworks.
- Since 2015, he collaborates with Prof. Min Chen, EPIC group, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), Wuhan, China, on the integration of Body Area Networks, Emotion Recognition, Cloud Computing, and Big Data.
- 2015-, Imperial College of London (UK), Prof. Guang-Zhong Yang, Body Sensor Networks and Affective Computing
- Since 2016, he collaborates with Prof. Zhelong Wang, Dalian University of Technology (DUT), Dalian, China, on activity recognition algorithms for Body Area Networks.
- Since 2016, he collaborates with Dr. Yin Zhang, Zhongnan University of Economics and Law (China), on emotion-aware systems.
- Since 2016, he collaborates with Prof. Mengchu Zhou, New Jersey Institute of Technology (USA), on next-generation Internet of Things services modeling and validation.
- 2017-, University of Bologna (Cesena), Prof. Mirko Viroli, Novel Paradigms for IoT Modeling and Simulation
- 2017-, Shanghai Maritime University (China), Dr. Xiuwen Fu, Prof. Yongsheng Yang, Energy efficient algorithms for Wireless Sensor Networks and IoT communications
- Since 2017, University Mediterranea of Reggio Calabria (Italy), Prof. Domenico Rosaci and Prof. Giuseppe Sarnè, Trust Methods in IoT.
- 2017-, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Prof. Flavia Delicato, Dr. Claudio Miceli de Farias, Multi-sensor Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks and IoT
- 2017-, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Shenzhen, (China), Prof. Ye Li, Wearable networked devices and Big Data Healthcare
- 2018-, New York University (USA), Prof. Masoud Ghandehari, Urban Computing and Science
- 2018-, National University of Singapore (Singapore), Dr. Hongliang Ren, Wearable Medical Sensors and Computing
- 2019-, Huazhong Agriculture University (Wuhan, China), Prof. C. Huang and Dr. Lin Yang, IoT technologies for Smart Agriculture
INTERNATIONALIZATION RELATIONS ACTIVITY
Prof. Fortino was/is very active in promoting the establishment of teaching/research agreements between University of Calabria and foreign international Universities.
Since January 2020 he is the Unical Rector’s Delegate for International Actions involving extra-EU countries and for Institutional Relations with China and Australia.
In the following, the promoted signed agreements are listed and commented.
|Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Brisbane, Australia||General Framework AgreementStudent Exchange AgreementJoint PhD Agreement||2009-2012|
|TU/e, Eindhoven, The Netherlands||Erasmus AgreementGeneral Framework AgreementJoint PhD Agreement||2010-2013|
|Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Valencia, Spain||Erasmus Agreement||2002-2013|
|University of Reading, UK||Erasmus AgreementGeneral Framework Agreement with UNICAL Faculty of Engineering for Research Master Students Exchange||2010-2013|
|UT Dallas, USA||General Framework Agreement with UNICAL Faculty of Engineering for Research Master Students Exchange||2011|
|WSN Lab Berkeley, USA||General Framework Agreement with UNICAL Faculty of Engineering for Research Master Students Exchange||2007-2010|
|Technical University of Berlin, Germany||One-off Agreement for MSc-level Research Thesis||2010|
|Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan City, China||General Framework AgreementJoint Lab on IoT Technologies||2011-2015 renewed till 2018|
|University of Craiova, Craiova, Romania||Erasmus Agreement||2011-2013|
|Warsaw Management University, Warsaw, Poland||Erasmus Agreement||2011-2013|
|University of Gdask, Gdansk, Poland||Erasmus Agreement||2011-2013|
|University College of Dublin, Dublin, Ireland||Erasmus Placement Agreement||2010-2011|
|Universidad Autonoma de Madrid||Erasmus Placement Agreement||2012-|
|National Higher School of IT (ENSIAS) – Mohamed 5 Souissi University, Rabat, Morocco||General Framework Agreement||2012-|
|Abdelmalek Essaadi University, Tetuan, Morocco||General Framework Agreement||2011-|
|University of Chile, Santiago, Chile||General Framework Agreement||2013-|
|Washington State University, Pullman, USA||General Framework Agreement||2015-|
|Technical University of Compiegne, France||Erasmus+ Agreement||2015-|
|University of Koblenz, Germany||Erasmus+ Agreement||2015-|
|Bochum University of Applied Sciences, Germany||Erasmus+ Agreement||2017-|
|National Research University of Electronic Technology – MIET, Russia||General Framework AgreementDual-degree (in itinere)||2017 –|
|Coimbra Institute of Engineering, Portugal||General Framework AgreementDual-degree (agreement in itinere)||Agreement in itinere|
|Shanghai Maritime University (China)||General Framework AgreementJoint Lab on IoT Technologies oriented Smart Port||Nov. 2017-|
|Carleton University (Canada)||General Framework AgreementJoint-PhD (upon request)||Jan 2018 –|
|Institut Mines-Telecom (France)||Erasmus+ AgreementDual-degree (agreement signed on Mar 2020)Joint-PhD (agreement in itinere)||Mar 2018 –|
|University of Derby (UK)||Erasmus+ Agreement||2018 –|
|University of Oulu (Finland)||Erasmus+ AgreementDual-degree (agreement in itinere)||Mar 2018 –|
|Ecole Nationale d’Ingénieurs de Brest (ENIB), France||Erasmus+ Agreement||Apr 2018 –|
|“GHEORGHE ASACHI” TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF IASI, Romania||Erasmus+ Agreement||May 2018 –|
|Shenzhen Institute for Advanced Technologies (SIAT), China||One-off Agreement for MSc-level Research Thesis||Jun 2018|
|New York University (USA)||One-off Agreement for MSc-level Research Thesis||Jul 2018|
|Linkoping University, Sweden||Erasmus+ Agreement||Dec 2018-|
|Northeastern University Boston (USA)||General Framework Agreement||May 2019-|
|Huazhong Agriculture University (China)||General Framework AgreementJoint Lab on IoT Technologies oriented to Smart Agriculture||Nov. 2019-|
|Nanjing Tech University (China)||General Framework Agreement||Nov. 2019-|
|Universidad Federal de Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||General Framework Agreement||July 2020-|
|Green University of Bangladesh (Dhaka, Bangladesh)||General Framework Agreement||August 2020-|
|GIET University, Gunupur-765022, Odisha, India||General Framework Agreement||Feb 2021-|